Lately, I have been all about tweaking little things in my life to make every day life a little easier and hopefully greener in the process. I am mostly jotting these things down as a journal for me, but if someone else gains from it all the better. Here's a list of some of my little changes:
1. I have been making a bigger pot of coffee and drinking it for a couple of days. The second day it is not as fresh, but it still tastes good. I only drink one cup a day so I was making just a little bit each day.
2. I have been drinking my cup of coffee while still at home instead of lugging a big ol' cup with me to work. I would drink off that one cup until lunch time. As a result, I was hardly drinking any water.
3. I only wash my hair every other day. We only wash the kids hair every other night so why wouldn't it work for me too? I tried stretching it to every third day, but my hair feels too greasy. This allows me to take a shorter shower and I spend less time drying my hair.
4. We make yogurt about once a week. I use a double boiler so there is always water left over in the bottom pot. We also use ice water to cool the milk down before adding the yogurt starter. I save all of this water and water the plants with it.
5. After reading some of Siblings Without Rivalry, I started changing how I respond when the kids are fighting. I am still learning, but I can already see a difference. It is amazing (and pretty scary)how much of an impact my words and actions have on my children.
6. I have secretly vowed to myself that I am going to make presents or buy used toys for all the kid's (friends and cousins included) birthdays that we have coming up.
It really is amazing that such small changes can make a huge difference.